Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Second Day, and a Good Start

Today is the second Google day at band.  It is an opportunity for me to get started on my research concerning music and the brain.  I have decided to investigate how exactly music affects brain function.

I have also taken the opportunity to set some concrete goals and expectations for myself.  I will be able to put time into this project outside of school.  It will certainly be a welcome break from all the other schoolwork.

So far, I have read some scientific studies by Scientific American and the federal government.  For example, I read a July 2010 article by the aforementioned magazine on the connections between music and language.  The effects of language have been studied extensively, but music has not been investigated as thoroughly.  With the realization that music and language are processed similarly in the same areas of the brain, it leads to the possibility of researching music's effects on our brains through an entirely new perspective.  This article can be found at http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=speaking-in-tones-jul10.

More posts are coming soon, as I discover new ways of looking at music.  I have always played music, but never looked at it in the scientific perspective that I scrutinize the rest of the world with.  Seeing as it is only the second day, upcoming discoveries are sure to be interesting and very surprising!

1 comment: